Translate

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Snails in Garlic–Herb Butter

It’s been a couple of months now since I cooked snails. I got a tin of snails from my Australian friend Sam many years ago and I wanted to cook them ever since. I never had anyone to eat them with so I waited. It was my friend’s birthday when I decided to cook them. She is French, loves snails and good wine so I thought this would be the best opportunity. I looked up some classic recipes and decided to cook them simply with lots of garlic, herbs and white wine. I was totally shocked when I opened the tin and found out that there were no shells in it. I must have missed the part that you have to get snail shells separately. Oops. My friend was already on the way so I had no time to waste. I decided to make the snails without the shells. I was quite embarrassed in front of mine food loving friend but she enjoyed the classic starter anyway. The next time I am going to cook snails I will read the instructions properly. Big thanks to Sam who was so kind and gave them to me.

 

Ingredients: 

 

15 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tbsp white wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
Salt & black pepper

Pinch of nutmeg, to taste

 

24 extra-large snail shells
24 canned extra-large snails
Rock salt
Freshly baked (optional) bread, for serving

 


In a bowl, whisk together butter, parsley, wine, garlic, and shallots with a fork. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.
 
 
Quick option: Place all ingredients in a blender and you are done in a minute!

 

Heat oven to 250°C. Spoon approximately 1⁄2 tea spoon of butter mixture into each snail shell. Push a snail into each shell, fill shells with remaining butter mixture.
Cover bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan with a layer of rock salt. Arrange snail shells butter side up on bed of salt and bake until butter sizzles, 10–12 minutes. Serve snails on a platter, with bread to soak up the butter.


If you decide to make the snails without shells you can simply place them into a tin, cover with butter mixture, place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.


 
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here!